Saturday, July 11, 2015

Mid-Year update

 The first half of the year is behind us now so lets take a little look back  and see what has happened so far. 

  The plan was to focus on training and quality rather than quantity of events and the year started off as planned and was going quite well. I ran the Ocean Isble Beach Half Marathon on a cold windy early January day. Despite the conditions and running slower than I had hoped, it was good enough for an age group win and a confidence boost that the training was on track.

I  continued to have  some great workouts and especially the Fun Fridays with Laura THE Honey Badger who had taken me on as sort of a project Lol ! We were having lots of fun and I was getting stronger every week.

 Then On Valentines Day I did the Sweetheart 5k in Rocky Mount to test my speed and get in a workout. It was a surprsingly hilly course but I ran strong and got 2nd in my age group.

 Then in March after suffering a setback with an injury that curtailed my training plans I was able to get my Boston qualifier at The Wrightsville Beach Marathon with Laura pushing me the last 6 miles.

 Then it was time to get back into ultra mode to prepare for Western States. I had a strong run on a hot mid April Day at The Run For the Rock 50k and some fun sharing some miles with Kara but some stumbles aggravated the already fragile hamstring and hip issues. A week later I was hobbling and have been unable to train since then.

 Of course I made the doomed attempt to run Western States but it was such a disappointment to be in such great shape only to come up lame 8 weeks before. But things happen and not always like we want or at the opportune time. Now it's time to heal.


No comments: